Thursday, May 21, 2009

I managed to get the engine out and down to Steve, and as you can see it was quite a mess inside when he managed to get the head and barrel off, this has been caused bt oil starvation to the underside of the piston. This got me thinking about the oil feed and return lines, I had contacted Rotax who had sent me a line drawing of the oil lines, it clearly shows the feed as the furthermost forward, so thats how I connected them. Steve checked this out and to my dismay he proved that I had connected the oil lines to the wrong unions, expensive mistake to make I know!! Steve told me I would need a new con rod, barrel, piston, and vavles. I had the rod and valves but not the barrel and piston, I tried several places but all were out of my price range so I was beginning to think this was going to be the end before it actually got started. I contacted a former Mono racer who had a 97mm Nikasil barrel but only a flat top piston, this would get the engine back on the track but wil lose BHP! he also said he had a 100mm Omeag piston but as the scored barrel is 100mm the piston would be too small. Steve said I needed a 100.5mm so the barrel can be honed out to that. I got in touch with JE pistons but they would only sell them to me if I bought 4, much too expensive. I was in loggerheads of what to do when Ash called, he told me that he had been speaking to Nick Oliver, (another Mono rider from The Isle Of Man), and he mentioned that Nick had a 671 Rotax engine that he used last year, I contaceted Nick and he very kindly gave me an offer I cannot refuse. Dave Harnet is picking the engine up from Nick at Anglesey this weekend and I will be picking it up from Dave early next week, so all being well it should be on the dyno by next weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment