Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dyno test and problem finding

After Steve Ruth had repaired the stripped thread I managed to get the bike down to Eric at Ekquire motorcycles in Bury St Edmunds, I wanted to find out what the motor was pushing out and get the carb jetted correctly. Every time I come down to Eric's I warm the bike up outside but this day it wasn't having it! I changed the spark plug and eventually she burst into life but still no tick over, (idle for you guys in US....Dave!!!). I managed to get the bike on the dyno and take it through a power run, 64.8bhp at the rear wheel but it was dropping off around 7000rpm. I came down a size on the main jet and set about starting the bike again, but it just wouldn't fire. Eric then appeared and said there was a way to find out if it was fuel related or ignition, so as I was starting it he was spraying brake cleaner into the bell mouth of the carb, when it failed to start he said it was almost definitely the ignition. When I got home I removed the generator, CDi amplifier and coil. Starting with the coil I used a Mega metre to test it, all ok, same with the amplifier box, but when I tested the generator I found that at least 3 of the coils had open circuit. A new generator was fitted and I gingerly pulled the bike back onto the rollers, then with antipidation I let out the clutch, almost immediately the engine burst into life and was idling around the 2000rpm mark. I let the engine warm up then adjusted the tick over to just over 1500 rpm, the motor sound so crisp and by my reckoning it was playing up when Simon was testing at Mallory so what will she go like now the ignition has been sorted?
The bike was now ready for the European Supermono race the next day at Snetterton, and I loaded everything I needed into the van.

No comments:

Post a Comment